Thursday, November 11, 2010

Friends From Afar – Part 3

Jose and Lena – a brother and sister that I have claimed as my own children

DCP_3020_thumb_thumb[1]

Jose and Lena, my two precious children. No one will be able to understand the love that exists between us. The relationship that developed between us during one of the saddest times in your lives, will remain with me forever. How I praise God for the years that we had together. I love you even more, and miss you so very much. I long to share your heartaches and your joys. Distance may part us, but never the love that I have for you. I have always said, “If only your parents could see you. How proud they would be!”


IMG_8884_450x338_thumb_thumb[1]

When I look at your precious faces and those loving smiles, it portrays exactly who you are. Could I ever forget the surprise you had for me shortly after my third car was stolen, when together you bought this dear little car, so that I could reach other patients facing the last days of their lives?

CRW_1645-2_thumb_thumb

Let me talk to my girl first. I cannot tell you what this photograph of you does to me. It brings into my mind the most precious of memories. You are a precious girl, Lena, beautiful in face, in form and a beauty inside of you second to none. When you love, you love with your whole, heart and when you give, you give yourself away too. Thank you Lena, for rescuing us many times with your gifts of money and huge parcels of food. How I loved your visits! How my heart ached for you when times were tough for you! One of the most touching moments that I will always recall, was the day that your father passed away at Rest-a-While. I still see the deep sorrow in your face, and how you tried to fight those emotions that were ripping your apart. I can still here those soft but heart-rending sobs when I gathered you in my arms. We have shared sacred moments, Lena.


 

IMG_2649_450x338_thumb3_thumb[1]

We have had fun times, such as this, when very innocently you handed me this huge cabbage for my birthday, and apologized for it not being a bouquet of flowers. You lavished me with gifts that day. Oh, for those days again. Lena, there is not one quite like you.

I will say it forever, “Thank you for being you. Thank you for your love. Thank you for everything that you did for me personally and for my Cancer ministry, and thank you for still keeping in touch with me. I love you my dearest Girl, and I always will.

 

IMG_8840_450x338_thumb_thumb[1]

Jose, you crawled into my heart through a labyrinth of love, and now you cannot get out. You are a talented and highly skilled man, but your greatest characteristics are commitment, reliability, faithfulness; you ooze with generosity – to the extreme, and I could go on and on – you are exceptional! I am so honored to have been part of your life, and for the “son” that you have been to me, and still are! You do not have a duplicate!

I met you under very sad circumstances. You mom had died a few years back, and then you and your sister were facing the death of your father as a result of Cancer. I shall never forget how you and Lena cared for your dad, while he was still at home, and when you could cope no longer, you honored me by allowing me to take care of him. He passed away peacefully on 24 May 1998.

You have shared your deep hurts and heartaches with me. You lavished me with your love; you were always there when I needed you. How little did you know during my last months in South Africa, how the food parcels you brought, broke the deep famine that I was going through. God used you, my precious Boy, in answer to my prayers, as I had to endure many a tough trial – in preparation for the enormous gifts that He had in store for me.

You are still going through trials, dear Jose, and so is your sister. My heart goes out to you, my arms are far away from you, my love is close to you, and my prayers are covering you. Stand firm – endure! God has something great in store for you and your sister. I have placed my requests before Him for both of you. God took note of your every gift to me, which was in fact a gift to Him, so that I could continue with the great work that God entrusted to me, with dying people.

Back to the labyrinth – I’ve sealed the door to my heart and you will never, ever be able to escape. I love you, my “friend?” – No, my child! You are SO precious, and as always – “Jose, precious boy, thank you for all that you have done for me – thank you!” This (.) full stop is filled with tears of immense gratitude.

 

Merchley

CRW_2397_thumb_thumb[1]

Merchleysweetest girl, how beautiful! When I look at you, I see my daughter who would have been the same age as you, and I try to imagine how beautiful she , too, would have been.

When I first me you, you were not a Christian. Mom was terminally ill with Cancer and I remember kneeling at Mom’s beside and you standing beside her as I prayed for you both. I always prayed that God would send me the patients of His choosing. It is a hard thing to say, but no doubt, God used the death of your mother to open up two hearts to Him, yours, and Mom’s on her deathbed.

Your mom was lying in hospital, barely able to breathe - death was imminent in a short while. I asked for private time with her, and knelt at her bedside. She gave her heart to Jesus. It was some time later, perhaps a year, that I shared that experience with you, and God revealed two treasures – one to you, and one to me. As a dedicated Christian, you often wondered where mom is now, and when I related the event around her salvation in Jesus Christ, your face beamed and you told me what happened. Before I asked for private time with mom, she was struggling to breathe and was naturally very subdued. After I left and you returned to mom’s beside, she was beaming with joy and even her breathing had eased. At the same time we clicked. We knew then that mom was in heaven.

My special girl, my little daughter, you have had a tragic life. Your heart has been ripped apart over and over again, but satan cannot destroy you, because you now belong to Jesus, and there is such a reassuring Scripture in John 10:29, “No one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand”.

Many tragedies hit you in your early life. Your son, developed Cancer of the brain at a young age and underwent major surgery. God saw fit to spare him for you until in his early twenties, about 4 years ago, when he was struck by a car and killed. God-directed trials continue to make you their target. God is placing you through a tough program in preparation for a special task that He has in mind for you.

Lastly, I want to thank you for the sacrifices you made on behalf of my ministry with Cancer sufferers. I praise God for our continued relationship by means of the internet while we are thousands of miles apart – you in South Africa, and me in Ecuador. “I thank my God for every remembrance of you”. I promised mom that I would always be here for you. I will never ever forget her response. She was too breathless to speak. She put her hands together in a gesture of deep gratitude and mouthed the word “Thank you”. You a friend, Merch? Perhaps in the beginning, but you are related to me – you are my precious daughter, and at the same time you are my sister-in -Christ.

Merchley, sweet child, Cling onto God for all you are worth. There are great things in store for you.

Friends From Afar – Part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment