Monday, November 8, 2010

Family Fortunes – Part 1

IMG_8824_450x338_thumb

Is my family perfect? No! For the simple reason that I am not perfect!

I, today, have placed each of the “gems” that God has given me, in the palm of my hand. I am holding each one up to the sun, and each one of them sparkles in my eyes. Today, I am honoring my precious family, and as I do so, it is with a mixture of emotions – gratitude, pride, longing, sadness, and splashed with dew drops of an intense love for each one.

CRW_3656-2

 

Who am I?

Is this me? No, it was me – six years ago! My name is Dawn, born June 1941. I am a grandchild, a daughter, a mother and a sister. My grandmother, father and mother are in Heaven. I have four children, of which one is in Heaven, two grandchildren, one great granddaughter, and three brothers. These are my gems. I will hold each one up to the sun so that they can sparkle. Catch a glimpse of the treasures God gave me!


FATHER

You may not know it, but I am an “adopted child”. I was adopted into a heavenly family at the age of nine years, when I accepted Jesus as my Savior and Lord. This year I celebrated sixty years as an “adopted daughter”. I am proud to acknowledge that GOD IS MY HEAVENLY FATHER.

IMG_8906_450x338

“…when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons (daughters)”.

“And because you are sons (daughters), God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!” Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son (daughter), and if a son (daughter), then an heir of God through Christ”. (Galatians 4:4-6)

“My Dear Heavenly Father, there is only One like You; there is no other. You were my Father even before you created me. You have loved me unconditionally despite my many failures; You have provided for me; You have cared for me and protected me; You have blessed me more than I ever deserve. You are my Comforter, my Counselor, my Guide; You were and are the only One who knows my joys and struggles. You have blessed me with a special family. You alone have granted me all my successes. You have blessed me my Father, and You gave me Jesus, Your Son. Please make me a worthy daughter. I love You, my Father. There is none like You”.


Grandmother

IMG_8915_450x338

Matilda, whose parents were emigrants from Germany, was born on 8 January, 1891. Granny completed four years of schooling. Her mother died when she was 8 years old – a doctor’s error – a fatal injection! My Granny was reared by her grandmother. She spoke with great pride and affection for her father.

Despite minimum schooling, my Granny taught herself to write – but what a scrawl! Her spelling was not too bad. Although she was denied further education, she could speak four languages fluently – German, English, Afrikaans (South Africa) and Xhosa. Far better than what I am achieving with Spanish.

Granny had the greatest sense of humor and could “out-laugh” anyone. Best of all, she loved me. I adored her and was devastated when she died three months after my baby girl died. I still love her, miss her – with tears. Gemstone? “Yes, Granny, you have never dulled in my eyes. You shine brighter than ever before, and now that I am almost your age, I can appreciate your love for me even more. Thank you for loving me so much”.


IMG_6793_450x338_thumb1

Matilda: born 8 January 1891 – deceased 8 July 1963

 

Father and Mother

Papa and Granny

Meet my Father and Mother on the occasion of their 50th Wedding Anniversary


IMG_8895_450x338

 

Father: Walter. Born 6 December 1911. The fourth generation in South Africa since his parents emigrated from Germany.

My parents were third cousins. They were married for 64 years and 9 days when my Dad died.

Dad: “You were the best father that you could possibly be to me. You worked so hard for us as a family, as a Motor Mechanic and Precision Engineer. You sacrificed your annual leave in order to make ends meet, and you worked many week-ends – except Sundays, just so that we could be fed and clothed and have shelter in our home. You would sacrifice everything that you had for your family. What a dedicated and faithful husband you were!

IMG_8957_450x338_thumb1

You were an upright man. You were absolutely transparent. You were a very deep man. You were an introvert. You were misunderstood many times, but just remained silent. You never ever used a bad word in our company and I’m sure not in other’s neither. Your passion was studying Bible prophecy. You were a father to my children. How often when my children and I had no food and money, you and Mom were there for us, even though you were not at all wealthy. You encouraged me. You rejoiced whenever God granted me success in my careers. You shared my joys and my sorrows. You stood at my beside when your tiny granddaughter died – silently weeping. I can still hear you.

What a privilege it was to be at your side day and night in my home, until you went home to be with Jesus. As you laying dying, you still turned to Mom and asked her what last favor you could do for her. What a man! What a man!

How I miss you, my father and my friend. I praise God that I know that you are in heaven, and that I will see you again. At your funeral someone summed you up in a nutshell – “A (man) in whom there is no guile”. “ (John 1:47) Dad, you will always be my gem.

Walter: Born 6 December 1911 – deceased 11 July 2000 at age 89 years.



IMG_8881_450x338

 

Mother: Vera. Born 23 September 1915. Also fourth generation in South Africa from Germany.

Who would have thought that your daughter would still cry for you, although you would have been 95 years old this year? You were my mother, my best friend, a comic, my confidante, my encourager. I miss you, Mom, more than I could describe. Yip, almost 70 years old myself. When things are a bit tough, I so wish you were here. You always understood.

You were energetic. Your care for me was superb. Your home was spotless. You always made sure that I looked my best. What a star you were! Thank you for teaching me what hard work was all about. It became a norm in my life. It was the basic ingredient that I needed for the enormous projects that were waiting for me in my future life. I needed challenges, and you taught me how to meet them.

Your last few days on this earth were very tough for me. Having a medical background, I knew what was about to happen to you. How could I ever forget as you lay in the emergency room, a few hours before you passed away, when the Doctor was examining you, and you told him, “I am an old crock, but I still have my marbles” On your deathbed you still joked with people. When I bent over your tiny form, your words to me were, “I want to die. I want to be with Daddy. Don’t worry about me. I love Jesus and I know I am going to Heaven”. I still see that last parting look! My precious mother, I cannot wait to be united with you again ……. and with Dad!

Mom you are my gem. I would not exchange you for any other mother!

Vera: Born 23 September 1915 – deceased 6 October 2000 – 2 months and 25 days after Dad’s passing. God granted you 85 years on earth.

IMG_6547_450x338_thumb

 

Family Fortunes - Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment