Saturday, November 13, 2010

Causerie called “Cotacachi” – Part 1

IMG_0090_450x338

I live in a small town called “Cotacachi” in Ecuador, with two huge inactive volcanoes in full view – the one is called “Imbabura” and the other “Cotacachi”. On a clear day the views of these volcanoes are stunning. Before I drag you off to see the volcanoes, I invite you to accompany me as I take you through a “tour of the town”, and then we will take a look at the stunning scenery surrounding this little town, famous for its leather goods and music. Put on your running shoes – there is a lot to see.

This particular post on my blog will be divided into a number of parts. Bear with me; don’t get bored; step up your pace and follow me.

 

“Casa” to “Calles”

We’ll start off from my rental house and then proceed down the streets until we come to the town itself. I live in the country area, and if you are fit, it will take you about 3 minutes to reach the main street.

IMG_0077_450x338

I do not have an address. Everyone knows the Casa Amarija (the yellow house). On the lower floor there is a hall, lounge, dining room, kitchen, 3 smaller rooms, 1 full bathroom and a guest toilet. The upper floor has another lounge, 4 spacious bedrooms and two full bathrooms. That leads to the terrace on top with the most stunning, unobstructed, 360 degree views.

We have just left the house and I am standing about 30 paces from the gate, with my little shadow. I call her Rusty. She is not my little dog, but she lives in my heart. Come along, walk with me on the “highway” to the town.

IMG_0091_450x338

A two minute walk will take us to the most upmarket hotel in this area, which only the elite can afford. It is a favorite stop-over where the President of Ecuador visits occasionally.

This is the main entrance to La Mirage.

IMG_0019_450x338

Below is the cobbled street that leads to La Mirage and to my rental house.

IMG_0020_450x338

Coming from my home and right at the La Mirage gate, if you turn left and walk down about 30 paces you will see the house that we are building at the moment. This pic was taken from a field close by. The Imbabura Volcano is partially visible in the background.

IMG_8179_450x338

We are now back-tracking to the road we were on just now. A little farther down on our left-hand side, living in perfect harmony with the neighbors, is a “Cement Block (Bloque)” factory.

IMG_0021_450x338

We are turning right now, which takes us directly into the main street called, Calle 10 de Agosto. Just wait for me. I will be right back – just going to collect my notes for our “tour through the town”. I’ll meet you in Part 2 of this post.

Thoughts for your Tour:

While I am gone, think of this “Highway to Heaven” – Jesus said, “I am the Way. . .” (John 14:6) If you and I are on that “Way”, we will never be eternally lost!

2 comments:

  1. Dawn,
    I'm standing out here in the street waiting for your return. Is there a place for me to sit down? Old people get weary. I like the shape of your new house; when will you finish and move in?
    Dr. Curt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn,
    Your blog is awesome. I am looking to move to that area, from the states. Are there ways to earn a living there for Americans? I've heard the cost of living is less than over here...but I'm sure one still needs income to survive. Do you have any advice?
    Thanks
    ! Lisa

    ReplyDelete