Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Causerie Called “Cotacachi” – Part 7

IMG_0054_338x450

Un Policia? Si, el es mi agente de policia. He is my personal cop! This little man, badly crippled with arthritis, is a real delight. I refuse to cross the street unless he directs me to do so. He is so precious – always friendly, always a smile on his dial. His favorite pastime – watching people walk by and directing traffic. So he is my mascot for introducing you to some of the public services offered in Cotacachi.

IMG_0051_450x338

The Municipality of Cotacachi is located centrally. These offices are the main area for payment of utility bills such as water, and other services offered by the Municipio. The Mayor’s office is also situated on the premises, as well as the Planning Department. Incidentally water is a very cheap commodity here. The water bill is around $2-3 per month.

IMG_0231_338x450 

I have just paid my electricity bill – just over $6 – (I’d hate to see yours) – but before I part with all that cash, I first pay Securidad Segundo his monthly “salary” – something sweet to eat. He is the sweetest bit of security I know – the one closest to you – no me! You won’t pay his “salario” – I do! Today I decided to give him a hug. He first blushed and then he beamed. Check his smile in the pic. When I left he approached me. This time I shook (held) his hand. He was still happy. Just as a matter of interest, while building my house, I needed to have a temporary electricity supply for power driven tools. I paid an amount of $20 and have had free electricity for about 9 months, Name one free thing that your country gives you.

IMG_0234_450x338

The entrance to the Department of Water Affairs is so pretty and on a sunny day, the Cotacachi volcano can be seen clearly in the background.

IMG_0235_450x338

There are no fancy buildings in the Water Department – its just beautifully laid out with a number of fountains. The main office can be seen in the pic and the people are so polite, accommodating and friendly. You may sometimes wait for the service, and return 5, 6 or 7 times to let them know that you still have your hair on. It will get done – it’s just Ecuadorean culture. Take a tip – never look irritated, because then you certainly will become more irritated with an even longer wait – it’s not cultural! Only kidding – they are such special people – very special.

IMG_8764_338x450

Here in Cotacachi, we use gas for cooking. A large bottle of gas lasts about 2.5 months and costs $2,20. A truck loaded with gas bottles rides up and down the town every day of the year. The tune they play alerts people that they are available for any supplies. Or as seen in the this pic, my friend, Segundo, will deliver it to your door. Whenever I see him, I train the camera on him. He loves it and quickly adjusts his cap. Then he comes over to me and gives me such a big hug. I love him and he is such a lovely Christian man.

IMG_0097_450x338

Our Internet and Telephone service is called “Andinatel”. Their service is brilliant and there are many Internet Cafes around. Many of the folk are computer literate. They do not have their own computers and hang around the Internet Cafés like bees around honey.

I have two problems with my landline. Because I live more in the country, there are not many telephone poles – if you can call them that. Part of the telephone wires are suspended in a tree or two and when the wind blows, so does my telephone. My second problem is when the telephone rings. I run a mile! You see, my Spanish is not good at all. I delay answering, but the caller keeps holding on. I answer in English hoping that it will make them put the receiver down, and after greeting them I quickly say, “Lo siento, mi Espanol es moy malo. Solo un gringo vive aqui”. Most times it does not work.

I have briefly introduced you to the basic services here in Cotacachi. Come with me, You may want to go to the Bank, or report me to the cops for doing such a poor job as a tour guide.

Thought for your Tour:

God has untold things in store for His children – a provision for our every need in life. He created the most beautiful environment for Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, and He has given us an incredible promise. Listen to it: “Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory . . . “ (Ephesians 3:20-21a)

No comments:

Post a Comment